The VIA station at Dorval was originally built by the Canadian National Railways in 1961 to replace an earlier building torn down to make way for a realignment of the track. While no commuter trains have stopped at this particular station it is still a stop for the trains to Toronto and Ottawa.
There are two tracks and an underground tunnel giving passengers safe access although current practice is to bring trains into onto track 1, nearest the station, whenever possible to avoid the need to cross to the north platform.
During the summer of 1998 VIA Rail Canada remodelled the station. The exterior was made to imitate the more traditional CN station design from the 1920's and a tower was added. Inside the ticket office was moved to the east end of the building and the gift shop and waiting room were moved to the west end.