Central Station opened on July 15, 1943 replacing the former Tunnel Terminal. With the opening of Central most of CN's passenger traffic was transferred from Bonaventure Station. The large main concourse is located over the tracks with stairs leading from each gate to the platforms.
There are sixteen tracks numbered from 7 to 22 which are used for passenger service while tracks 23 and 24 were used for express service. In 1962 the Place Ville Marie complex was built and Central Station quickly became the centre of a growing underground city.
Since the station was located underground steam locomotives were not permitted to operate within it. Instead electric locomotives were used to bring trains to and from locomotive exchange points and to do the switching within the station. These exchange points were located at Gohier, Val Royal, Bridge St. and Turcot East.
Site ©1996-2018 James R. Hay